Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mental torment in Esther

I found interesting Beth's comments about the mental torment that Haman inflicted upon the Jews. One day, it is announced that in 11 months they will all be slaughtered. So not only do you all die, you have 11 months to dread this, because of course the laws of the Medes and Persians cannot be changed.

Although my life has never been threatened, I could relate to Beth's comments about the devil tormenting her as her daughter and grandson left.
. . . I. . . watched them drive off toward their home in another city, I realized how much the devil would relish tormenting me with fear over their safety. He would love nothing better than to see me forfeit my joy as a grandmother by taunting me to futile speculations. (Rom. 1:21)

I understand well how fear and worry can consume you. Especially when you look around, and know that bad things do happen. People who love God are not immune from suffering. My future could hold all kinds of challenges I am totally unaware of right now.

Our comfort is not the certainty that none of these things can happen to us, but that whatever the future holds, our God holds us in His hand, nothing takes Him by surprise, and He will give us what we need to meet whatever challenge is ahead.

But for now, my life is uncomplicated by suffering. What do I do with that? I need to live with a spirit of gratitude for the blessings, and a generous, compassionate heart toward those who do suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment